Friday 19 July 2013

Acronyms.....attack!

Here is the latest group of 28mm African nationalist guerillas. They're armed with obsolete World War Two DP light machine-guns and Mauser K98 bolt action rifles. They will, as usual, be released under the title 'ZANLA guerillas' by Eureka Miniatures.

In fact these miniatures are representative of pretty much all the armed groups that fought against the security forces of Portugal and Rhodesia during the 1960's and 70's.


ZANLA (Zimbabwe African National Liberation Army) and ZIPRA (Zimbabwe People's Revolutionary Army) were the armed wings of ZANU (Zimbabwe African National Union) and ZAPU (Zimbabwe African People's Union) respectively.

The nationalist group in Guine was FARP (Forcas Armadas Revolucionarias de Povo), the armed wing of PAIGC (Partido Africano da Independencia da Guine e Cabo Verde).  
FRELIMO (Frente Libertacao de Mozambique) fought the Portuguese military in Mozambique.

Now that that's all cleared up.... I can tell you that the mould for these figures is in line to be made some time next week, and while it may be a while 'til their official release they should be available 'under the counter' so to speak from Eureka Miniatures and Eureka USA pretty soon. 










6 comments:

  1. Nice work, as usual, Kosta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff looking forward to picking up some of these soon.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic additions to the range and far more representative than the usual 'AK47s for all' ranges out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic news. I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G’day Kosta,
    I just wanted to leave a brief message of appreciation. I’ve been wanting to wargame the Rhodesian Bush Wars for years but have only recently got my grubby little mitts on the minis you have produced for Eureka. I first saw them at Cancon the year before last, but finally picked them up this year.
    I have to say they are superb. They are beautifully proportioned, dynamic and they almost paint themselves. Since Cancon, I have done about 50 African Revolutionaries, 20 Portuguese and 12 RLI and I must say that I have not enjoyed a painting project as much as this in a very long time.
    I’ve picked up one of each of the bare headed Somalis (including the DShK AA HMG-wow) and the Grey’s Scouts and I am sure they will be finished within a couple of weeks. I am intending on using the minis you sculpted for the British in Yemen as BSAP or RAR. I am no expert in the area, but I assume they will be OK. But, what I really would like to get my hands on is RAR done by you. Luckily for me, I believe they are on your “to do” list.
    It’s not just a matter of scale compatibility, it’s the quality. I could have started this project using Britannia or TAG miniatures for my “Acronym soup” revolutionaries, but quite simply, your work is the best out there covering this period. I am sure you are getting pressured by lots of folks to “get a wriggle on” with the RAR, so I won’t be pushy. Just suffice to say, I am very much looking forward to their arrival. Hell, I’d also be up for BSAP, Dismounted Grey’s, Auxiliaries and Rhodesian SAS... but I can appreciate your time constraints and market forces prioritising your “to do” list.
    I just want to let you know that you have a fan (obviously) and that up here in Newcastle, NSW all the guys from my gaming group love your minis – even my partner thinks they are awesome, and she’s a pretty tough audience. Thank you for bringing me so much enjoyment.
    Cheers,

    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much for your comments, Mal.

    I'm really happy that you guys are getting a kick out of this range and that you enjoy getting some paint on them too.

    I can tell you that new Bush Wars stuff is definitely on the front burner now, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

    Cheers,

    Kosta


    ReplyDelete